- Tamil is one of the official languages in Singapore and Sri Lanka.
- Tamil is the first language to be offered the status of a “Classical Language in India” in 2004.
- The Tamil work ‘Thirukkural’ has been translated into more than 80 different languages and is praised as one of the best literature ever written on secular ethics.
- There is a sculpture of ‘10 sages of the world’ located at MDIS Queenstown campus in Singapore. Thiruvalluvar , the author of Thirukkural, is sculpted as one of the 10 sages.
- January was declared as ‘Tamil Heritage Month’ annually by the House of Commons on October 5, 2016 in Canada.
- Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple is the largest Hindu temple in India and is located in Srirangam, Tamil Nadu.
- Velu Nachiyar was the first queen to oppose the British Rule in India and fight against them (even before Rani of Jhansi). She is revered by Tamil people as Veeramangai (courageous woman).
I feel that there’s nothing wrong to feel proud of our Tamil heritage. It encourages us to preserve our language and culture for the future generations as well as bring glory to our heritage through our achievements.
And this is not an end there are lot more. This is not even just teaser…..